Built in 1857, this building has housed the post office, a general store, and then an ice cream parlor. In the early 1900s, it became a meat market and then a restaurant until it was purchased by Page Hardware in 1984.
Page Hardware Building
Built in 1858 by Mr. James Monroe, this building housed Jasper Monroe & Sons, who ran a general store. In 1875 Mr. Beverly Monroe, who became the first Treasurer of the Guilford Savings Bank, had a safe in the back of the store, which constituted the "bank" (now a small in-store museum) until 1880 when the bank was moved. At this time Mr. Monroe changed his general store into a food market.
In 1896 Mr. E.H. Butler purchased the building and moved his hardware business into the store. Mr. Butler ran the hardware store until 1939 when Mr. Harry L. Page Jr. purchased the building and business. Since then, the store has been owned and operated by the Page family.
Guilford Trust Building
Built in 1912, the Guilford Trust Co. and the Guilford Savings Bank shared the same building until 1951. In 1963 the Guilford Trust Co. merged with the Second New Haven Bank and enlarged the building to its present size. In 1973 Page Hardware purchased the building from the Second New Haven Bank.